19 May 2017

granddad

So, this past Sunday (night), my granddad fell down and broke his hip. We don't know if he tripped and fell or if his hip broke and that triggered the fall (which would be more likely), but he fell and his hip broke somehow, at some time. Apparently it was a few hours before he would let Gram call the paramedics (I think Dad said he fell down at 7...? and they finally called at 11). 

So they got him to the hospital where he either had the brain aneurysm or where they found it. So they transferred him to a different hospital where they had more tools and things on hand. It's two words and starts with L and M and it's somewhere in Southern California. But I don't remember the name.

Well, anyway, he still hasn't woken up. Gram was going to stay in a hotel with my uncle's wife, Debbie, until he wakes up and can decide what he wants to do with his hip—either a brace over it or they can do something that Dad said was [more] invasive. I don't really know what it is, so I'd go with the brace. Either way, Dad said, Granddad would not be happy about his options when he woke up—or, if he wakes up.


So, she stayed in a hotel room for a little bit and is going back home today. I guess Debbie's going back to Tennessee...?

It sounded to me like he would wake up but there was (is) a chance that he wouldn't. Won't. So either way he's going to have to spend a lot of time in a nursing home, getting back to health, and life.

Mom said she could see him not getting out of the nursing home at all, but then she said that when he broke his hip for the first time last year and when he had a stroke like a year and a half ago and both times he's bounded back to pretty picture-perfect health and he's gone back to driving and riding his bike every day... he's pretty healthy as far as grandparents go.

Dad seemed to think he was either going to die in the hospital or in the nursing home, but either way he wasn't ever going back home.

Anyway, the future right now is pretty fuzzy and we don't really have any idea what's going to happen. Dad doesn't really know why they don't just put a brace on right now while he's still unconscious and won't need any sedatives or painkillers, and he won't move and he won't feel anything and the brace isn't invasive but it can help the healing while he's still unable to make a decision. Also then he wouldn't have to spend as much time in the rehab place. So what could it hurt? They could always take it off if he decides he doesn't want it. Unlike the other option which has something to do with cutting out/off part of his femur which does not sound good (to me).

So basically we have no idea what's going to happen—whether he makes an amazing, speedy recovery or if it's slow.

I could see him bouncing back to health in a couple days, or never even waking up. At least there is someone who knows, and cares and the one who controls everything that will happen.

Tonight we were sitting in the living room and Dad was talking about maybe Gram coming and living with us and I thought, wait, is he still alive? because I had just thought well of course he's going to be fine, and he'll wake up, his hip will heal, and he'll go home in a few weeks at most. And my first thought was, but he just shaved...

I don't know why. Gram did tell Dad, "well, he just got shaved so at least he looks better." but why I thought that, I don't really know.

Anyway, Dad's thinking of flying out there, I don't know when, but Der is also thinking about flying out. She might fly out instead of Dad, but really everything is so in the air right now and a lot of times I'll hear them talking and be like, wait, did something happen? because basically nobody else but me is thinking he'll wake up again. Maybe I'm like everyone I used to roll my eyes at -- maybe I just keep thinking oh yeah he'll get better, and that reality doesn't hit until a few days later or something.

I do know, though, that my brother asked Dad, "Wait, did anything happen?" and Dad said, "well, your granddad is dying...blah blah blah" that that was really when common sense and reality really took hold because up till that point I had just been thinking well of course he'll live. When he had a stroke a year ago, the doctors told us he would live for at most six months and that we should say goodbye, but look where he is now.

Granddad's pretty hard to beat, I guess. :)

More updates as soon as I know anything new!

Respectfully,
Sincerely,
Yours Truly,
Mair

P.S. I also read Mr. Hughes' testimony on Sunday, you know, Sarah and Sydney's dad, and apparently the mom died last August of, guess what, a brain aneurysm.

And I was thinking...

If Granddad dies, that may be a way God can help me help Sarah! You know how the Bible says that God works everything together for the good of those who love Him. So what is the good is Granddad dying? Maybe it will help me reach out to Sarah more. On Sunday she seemed much easier to talk to and like she was more conversational, so I guess that's a good sign. :) Anyway, that's just something I was thinking about because if Granddad dies, it will be from the same thing as her mom so at least I'll understand how she felt, even though a mother is a much bigger thing than a granddad, no matter how much you love him. :\

OK, didn't want to put a damper on the blog, so I think I won't post a whole ton unless something big changes. Love you and thanks for always being willing to listen to me! ~M

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am praying for your grandad and you and your family! Thanks for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Mags, I really appreciate it! Nothing new has happened but Gram just got a credit card for the first time in like 30 years, because Granddad was the one who always took care of it, so Uncle Joel took her to get one (she called it a "charged card" and I didn't know what it was haha). Anyway, so I guess it's for real. I just can't seem to get my mind around it all... it doesn't seem like it's actually for real. I don't know, I guess that's just my reaction to it. Isn't it called, like, withdrawal or like being in denial?

      Anyway, thanks for being there for me, it helps so much to know someone is praying for me, that's great! Love you!!

      - mairiairiairi

      Delete
    2. I don't know... I think it hits people at different times. Like when my uncle passed away it didn't really hit my cousin until we got to the funeral. I was eleven so I'm not really sure how I felt and I'm kind of ashamed to say that I didn't cry that much. The day Destiney's mom passed away she didn't even cry. She went to church Wednesday night and she was so confused how she felt completely fine. I think she cried at the memorial service and it definitely hit her and her dad when all their family went back home and they had to go on with "normal life" without her mom.
      So I don't think you're in denial because that's more like "No this isn't happening I'm not going to think about it" whereas I think you know it is happening but it's hard to believe. It hits people at different times I think.

      Anyway still praying for you!!

      ~Maggieaggieaggie

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that's true. When Mom's friend died (you know, the one in the car accident), she and Der were crying, and I thought my brother was joking and I started laughing and was like "yeah right" and then it felt so weird knowing it actually had happened.

      Does anyone ever cry right away or does it take a while to sink in? Because lots of people I know are like yeah I loved them but I just didn't ever cry. It's the same way with me and I feel bad because I do love Granddad, but I guess I just don't cry very well. :/

      Thank you so much! If there's anything I could pray for, for you, let me know!

      ~mairiairiairi

      Delete

Anyone can comment, but the comments will be moderated. Click here to learn how to insert boldface or italics in your comment.